Sunday, July 21, 2013

Martin vs. Zimmerman Redux


In the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin verdict many black pundits, politicians and bureaucrats at all levels of government shared how they have had to have discussions with their sons about how to act after they walk out of their front doors.  How to not attract attention, how to interact with police officers, etc.  My husband and I found the need for these discussions to be very sad.
Listening to these stories, I had a flashback to my own young days in the 1940’s when I was a teenager.  My mother emphasized to me how, after I left our house, I should not attract attention, how I should walk, how I should dress, how I should never be alone after dark because any girl who didn’t follow these rules was asking to be sexually assaulted. My step-grandmother, whom I adored, had the advice, “You should never be seen in your clothes, dear.  It will give the boys the wrong idea”.  (I still like sloppy clothes, however.) There was no comprehension that I would not be the one who was at fault.  I must have broken the rules.  My own daughters are long past the age where I would need to advise them, and I have no idea what young girls are taught now, but I have a glimmer of feeling for what black men must feel as they advise their own sons, and how the sons must feel.
Just as there has been, and still is, pushback on the fact that when a young women is sexually assaulted, it is not her fault, regardless of how stupid she may have been dressed or acting.  That a sexual assault is wrong, wrong, wrong under all circumstances.  We need now to have that same level of pushback against the idiot belief that if you are a young black male, you are a criminal.  Gender and skin have the same quality.  There is not one iota of anything one can do about it!!
I need to interject here that I am not equating sexual assault with murder.  With good physical and psychological care, one can overcome sexual assault.  One cannot be brought back to life.   

When I listened and watched the trial of George Zimmerman I was totally frustrated that with all of the discussion of whether it was proper for George Zimmerman to rely on the Stand Your Ground law, pull his gun and shoot a boy, there was no in-depth discussion of the fact that in this instance George Zimmerman was the aggressor and Trayvon Martin was using the only weapons he had – his fists – to Stand His Ground against a fully grown and muscled adult male who was following him for no reason, and could easily pose a dangerous threat to him.  We have no idea if Zimmerman taunted Martin, or what was said or done. But we do know that Martin was afraid of Zimmerman, telling his friend, Rachelle Jeantel on his cell phone that he was being followed by a “creepy-ass cracker”. 
I waited for even the liberal talk show people like Chris Hayes or Rachel Maddow to bring up this point that Martin had the right to the Stand Your Ground law and expound on it at length, but not one did.  It was all whether Zimmerman had the right to shoot Martin.  Of course someone may have brought up this point that I didn’t watch, but they all should have been discussing it, at length and in depth.  There was discussion that all Martin was doing was walking home, but there was no discussion that he, too, had an absolutely legal right to use the Stand Your Ground law against Zimmerman.  Again in this instance as in mine when a teen-ager, there was and is the assumption that white males have the absolute right to dictate to a whole group of people how they should act, talk, dress and think. To some, men have this right in general regarding women, and white men in regard to both women and black people, men and women.  Fortunately, not all men believe this, but too many do. 

The result is, that as all know in their hearts, underneath it all, that in Florida and elsewhere, a black boy or man does not have the right to Stand His/Her Ground.  After all, Martin was alone after dark, wearing suspicious clothing, and being where this white male decided he shouldn’t be.  Martin was ‘just asking for it’.

 

No comments: