Saturday, December 28, 2013

Damn Websites!!


Yesterday I sat down at this computer to write my blog, and had a serious case of writer’s block.  Nothing came to mind to write about that hadn’t been covered so completely in the news.  Since I have never watched Duck Dynasty, nor intend to in the future, that was out of bounds.  Congress not passing an extension of long-term unemployment benefits had been covered so completely in all of the news channels that seemed pointless.  There didn’t seem to be any point in discussing Rand Paul’s remarks about extending said benefits being “a disservice to the people receiving them” because it would cause them to not look for work was just stupid, so there was no point in belaboring that point.   

Consequently I decided to go to a website from a company that makes my little floor vacuum to determine if it is indeed repairable or if I need to replace it.  After spending several hours unable to connect with them on a rational basis, a gave up and went to the website of a company known for its tech savvy, and from which I had received a birthday present of one of their devices.  After spending another couple of hours with that website entering my birthdate and having that site refusing to accept it, then telling me I had spent too long trying to access my account indicating that I was an “illegal” accessor, or words to that effect, and that they were closing my ability to continue for at least 8 hours, I sent them an e-mail to which they have not responded that I have had that same birthdate for 84 years now, and I knew with a certainty that it is, in fact, my birthdate.  So, after I write this blog, I will try again to get my little device up and running.  I feel like a friend of mine with her new smart phone, which she calls a “dumb phone”, I assume because it will not do what she wants. 

All of this problem with business websites could only lead to one other thought, and that is Healthcare.gov, the website for citizens who have state governors who refuse to implement Obamacare in their states.  Apparently the website is running pretty well by this time, but for all of those people who rant and rave about government not being able to do anything right, let me tell you all that neither can the private sector sometimes.   

Perhaps if I keep rambling on about websites, I won’t have to knuckle down and go back to those two.  But if the one rejects my birthday again, I might actually get my old landline phone out of the drawer we keep it in for when the electricity goes out, and use somewhat outdated technology to contact them.  It might just work.

 

 

No comments: