Friday, April 4, 2014

Cesar Chavez, et al.


It was about 1946.  WWII was over.  My father was still working in the oil fields, where he had worked for the entire war.  He had tried to join the Merchant Marines (too old for the draft), but when it was discovered that he was working in the oil fields, he was told to go back and keep on drilling – that the oil was just as vital for the war effort.  Which it was, although not nearly as fulfilling.  Anyway, the war was over, and the AFL-CIO, as it was known in those days, wanted to unionize the oil field workers.  The company my Dad worked for was Texaco, and the mucky-mucks came to my Dad and told him that the company wanted to form a company union, and they wanted my Dad to head it up.  Which, being a loyal employee he did, successfully, and the AFL-CIO lost out in the election.  Not too long after the company dissolved the company union, leaving the workers without recourse.  My Dad never really recovered from that.  It took me several years to finally figure out what had happened, and needless to say, I became quite suspicious of corporations if they promised anything. 

Skipping ahead to around 1965 when my own family lived in Fresno, I decided to get healthy and lose weight after having five kids, so I joined an exercise place called Gloria Marshalls.  While there one day I overheard one of the other ladies talking that she owned a raspberry farm south of Fresno, and those “blankety blank” farm workers were really making trouble.  They even wanted a place to wash their hands after “taking a leak”.  I was horrified that they didn’t have a place, frankly, and told her I would never buy another raspberry from any store!  The problem was that it was the time that Cesar Chavez was attempting to organize the farm workers, and sentiments were really running high.

In the early 1970’s we moved nearer Fresno State when we realized we would have four kids in college at the same time.  This way they could live at home so long as they were in school.  I attended the Newman Center attached to Fresno State, and was elected to the Pastoral Council.  At that time there was a real problem at the Center because it needed a source of funding in order to provide the services it wanted to provide the students and parishioners.  It was decided that if a rental agreement could be decided on, renting the hall would be a great source of funding.  About half of the council supported Cesar Chavez, but the other half certainly did not.  As a result the two sides could not agree on who could or could not rent the hall.  Both had written up criteria for the rental agreement, but could not agree on whose should be adopted.  Being an optimist and new to the council, I offered to try to resolve the two documents. 

When I got them together, side by side, I realized they were almost identical.  There were a few minor issues that could easily be resolved.  So I put the two documents into one, took the one back to the next meeting, and both sides were thrilled that I had taken their document!!  It was after the rental agreement was approved, and we had used it successfully a couple of times, that I told them what I had done.  What a lesson for me that was.  Listen to both sides of an argument because often people assume that the other side is wrong when they don’t even know what it is!! 

So, admittedly I have a “preferential option for the poor”, and have had ever since that term came into usage from the advent of Liberation Theology, and I have an antipathy toward corporations and people who adamantly oppose unions and support corporations.  Consequently I have a real difficulty with trying to reconcile the radical-rights determination to cut all programs that benefit poor people, while at the same time protecting the finances of tremendously wealthy individuals and corporations.  It is impossible to sit down with a list of reasons for cutting benefits and reasons for not increasing taxes and then reconciling the two.   

The mind-sets of the two points of view are so divergent that for some it is impossible to even think through to the other’s viewpoint.  In Fresno in the 1960’s and ‘70’s, although no one really wanted to admit it, there was a great deal of innate racism involved as well as a fear of losing profits.  It is the same now with Paul Ryan’s comments about “inner city men” and Romney’s infamous discussion of the 49%, or the former Lt. Gov. of some southern state who said you didn’t want to feed animals and poor people because they just reproduce.  And to be fair, on my side are too many people who can’t get past thinking that the radical right are just greedy wolves who don’t want to share a nickel.

Perhaps what we need is a Peace and Reconciliation Commission based on the one established in South Africa after the dissolution of apartheid.  God, we need something!!

No comments: